BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear disc brakes

5 posters

Go down

rear disc brakes Empty rear disc brakes

Post  Tore August 29th 2018, 3:31 pm

I have factory Disc Brakes on the front of my 70 Torino. I want to put Wildwood disc on the back. Do I have to remove the factory distribution block and replumb that ?

Also what about an adjustable bias valve? Will that be needed? Has anyone done this swap???

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

rear disc brakes Empty Re: rear disc brakes

Post  BBFTorino August 29th 2018, 11:53 pm

Yes, you will need both, as well as a MC that is meant for 4 wheel disc.
The common dist. block for a 4 wheel disc system is generally 'equal' in its pressure distribution (unlike a disc/drum setup), so you need an adjustable regulator valve to bias the front / rear pressures to your liking.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow August 30th 2018, 12:33 pm

When I converted my Ranchero to hydroboost using 4 wheel discs/calipers from a 2000 Ford Crown Vic, I used a disc/disc distribution/proportioning valve similar to this:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Disc-Disc-Proportioning-Valve-for-1-2-20-9-16-18-Outlets,13539.html
It is said to meter the front brakes and proportions the rear, works great and I did not have to plumb in anything extra(less fittings-less chance of leaks). As mentioned above by BBFTorino, it is best to use a disc/disc master cylinder. Good luck and hope this helps.
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 August 30th 2018, 6:21 pm

i Have a Wilwood master cylinder on my mustang with Granada frond discs, modified explorer rear discs. the proportioning valve that was installed previously when I had the factory drums on back is now all the way open and is not really needed. I’m just too lazy to take it off and fix the plumbing. So by that logic you should not need an adjustable proportion valve.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 3rd 2018, 9:34 pm

Call Wilwood and ask them for their recommendations. I have an all Strange setup on mine and they were more than helpful with what MC to use to supply enough fluid to the calipers (4 piston) and how/where to plumb the prop valve... Prop valve location is different from a drag to a street car...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore September 25th 2018, 7:23 am

stanger68 wrote:i Have a Wilwood master cylinder on my mustang with Granada frond discs, modified explorer rear discs.  the proportioning valve that was installed previously when I had the factory drums on back is now all the way open and is not really needed. I’m just too lazy to take it off and fix the plumbing. So by that logic you should not need an adjustable proportion valve.

Did you take the guts out of the factory proportioning valve and just use it that way??

Tks Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down